NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) - As the Archdiocese of New Orleans prepares to release the names of child sex abusers within the church, one alleged victim questions how complete that list will be.
We first introduced you to Richard Windmann last month in a TV exclusive. He told us Jesuit High School janitor Peter Modica repeatedly raped him as a child in the late 70s, while priest Cornelius Carr watched. Windmann says he received a $450,000 confidential settlement from Jesuit High School for that abuse several years ago.
“I didn’t go for money. I went for counseling and spiritual guidance, and they’re like, ‘Nah here’s a whole bunch of money. Shut up, go away,’” said Windmann.
Windmann wants the Archdiocese of New Orleans to release the names of pedophile priests. But, he questions how detailed that list would be. That’s why he believes a statewide investigation into church sex abuse should also be done.
“We can’t trust just the list, there needs to be an investigation,”said Windmann.
On Friday, New Orleans Archbishop Gregory Aymond said a list of child sex abusers within the Catholic church will be released as soon as a review of that list is complete.
In a statement Aymond said:
“The clergy files are being examined very carefully. It is important to note that the review of the files will go back at least 50 years to ensure the list is accurate and complete. We will publish the list as soon as the work is finished. It will be sooner rather than later.”
“I think the list that they will release, it will have credible pedophiles on it but, I also, like I told you, fear it’s not going to be complete, comprehensive,” said Windmann. “If I was a banker and I committed fraud, you’d come in and toss my office, take the files, the hard drives, everything. If I was a drug dealer, you would serve a warrant, arrest me, get all the contraband. But not the Catholic Church, right?”
We have repeatedly asked State Attorney General Jeff Landry about victims' requests for a statewide investigation into church sex abuse. In a statement earlier this month, Landry said:
“The law of the State of Louisiana does not give me, as Attorney General, the authority to take a prosecution from a district attorney without their request or to launch a statewide prosecution against a person or group. Though the law may prohibit me from doing those things, I have instructed my office to assist in any investigation or prosecution done by local law enforcement if assistance is requested of us. As Attorney General, I offer my full commitment to doing all I legally can to rule out all types of criminal activity.”