NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) - Testimony wrapped up Thursday in a trial brought by Uptown homeowners against the Sewerage and Water Board.
The 10 homeowners involved in the case claimed a SELA drainage project damaged their houses.
Attorney Michael Whitaker represents some of the 300 residents suing the S&WB for $80 million in damages.
“The judge listened intently to homeowners as they testified to the substantial damage to their homes and disruption to their lives as a result of the years of industrial construction that has taken place so close to their homes because of the drainage project,” Whitaker said. “And still, the New Orleans Sewerage and Water Board refuses to settle or mediate these claims, instead opting to pay million of dollars in attorneys fees to try each of these 300 cases in Civil District Court.”
There is no word on when a decision in the matter will be reached.
FOX 8 News reached out to the Sewerage and Water Board earlier this week, but did not hear back. Representatives previously said they won’t comment on pending litigation.