NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) - Another Louisiana diocese follows New Orleans' lead, saying it will release the names of those within the Catholic Church who’ve been credibly accused of child sex abuse.
Earlier this month, Archbishop Gregory Aymond said the Archdiocese of New Orleans will publish the names once a review of the list is complete.
We now know the Diocese of Alexandria will release the names of those credibly accused of child sex abuse within the church. But what’s unclear at this time is when that will happen. Tuesday, the Diocese of Alexandria told FOX 8 that a thorough investigation of their personnel files is now underway.
We also reached out to the Diocese of Lake Charles. In a statement, Bishop Glen John Provost said: “The concern of the Diocese of Lake Charles has always been and continues to be the victims of sexual abuse. On the subject of issuing a list of priests credibly accused of sexual abuse of minors, this list requires three conditions. First, the privacy and identities of the victims must be protected so that even the possibility of additional harm and injury is eliminated. Second, the integrity and thoroughness of the process must be assured. Third, the Diocese must include expert collaborators in the process. Out of respect for the victims, the process will not be rushed.”
In a statement released to FOX 8 earlier this month, Archbishop Gregory Aymond said: “The clergy files are being examined very carefully. It is important to note that the review of the files will go back at least 50 years to ensure the list is accurate and complete. We will publish the list as soon as the work is finished. It will be sooner rather than later.”
We checked again with the Archdiocese of New Orleans on Tuesday, but there is still no word yet on when that list of names will be published.