LAPLACE, La, (WVUE) - Overall crime in St. John the Baptist Parish decreased by 10 percent in 2018, according to the Sheriff’s Office, however the parish saw slights increases in homicides, forcible rapes and motor vehicle thefts.
A total of 1,075 crimes were reported in the parish in 2018, compared to the 1,192 seen the year before. It was the fourth year in a row St. John saw a decrease in number of crimes committed, according to the Sheriff’s Office.
Despite the overall reduction, 2018 saw the following increases:
- Criminal homicide rose from four in 2017 to six in 2018
- Forcible rape rose from three in 2017 to four in 2018
- Motor vehicle thefts rose from 51 in 2017 to 45 in 2018
Meanwhile, the parish saw decreases in the following areas:
- Robberies down to 24 in 2018 compared to 24 in 2017
- Assaults down to 54 in 2018 compared to 54 in 2017
- Burglaries down to 174 in 2018 compared to 187 in 2017
- Larceny-theft cases down to 762 in 2018 compared to 811 in 2017