- 1 chayote squash, cut into ½-inch cubes and brushed lightly with olive oil*
- 1 16-oz. package of frozen carrot coins
- 1 teaspoon (2 cloves) garlic, minced
- 1 16-oz. can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 16-oz. can evaporated skim milk
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Roast squash in a preheated 400 F oven for 30 minutes, or until the cubes start to blacken around the edges. Remove from the heat and set aside. In a medium pot on medium-low heat, steam carrots according to package directions. Transfer cooked carrots to a blender, and add garlic and chicken broth. Puree the mixture until smooth, and then return it to the pot and turn the heat on low. Stir in the milk and the pepper, and bring the soup to a simmer. Ladle the soup into bowls. For garnish, add a spoonful of roasted chayote squash to the center of each bowl.
*Chayote squash is pale green and firm, with a mild white flesh. If you cannot find it, a summer squash such as pattypan or yellow zucchini would be a good substitution.
Nutritional analysis: Calories: 171 Kcal, Fat: 1.9 g, Cholesterol: 6.5 mg, Fiber: 3.2 g, Sodium: 269 mg, % Calories form Fat: 10%
Courtesy of www.5aday.com