You wouldn't go out in the cold in only a sundress and sandals (you would freeze!), but are you doing as much as you can to protect your skin?
It's not only your wardrobe that needs to get swapped out for the season; your skin care routine needs a revamp for the winter too.
Between the cold dry air outdoors and the hot dry air indoors, skin definitely needs a little more TLC. Read on to find out how to winter-proof your skin care routine.
1. Prevent dry, flaky skin in the first place by plugging in a cool-mist humidifier at work and at home. It will keep the air -- and your skin -- hydrated.
2. Keep your showers short and warm -- not hot -- to keep skin healthy. Before you completely dry off, slather on a hydrating lotion to lock in moisture.
3. Don't forget the SPF. You're not off the hook from damage from the sun's rays, no matter what the thermometer reads. Snow reflects the light, just like sand does, so make sure to use a daily facial lotion with an SPF of at least 15.
4. Invest in a rich hand cream. Between the cold, windy weather and frequent hand-washing to prevent colds and the flu, your hands are particularly vulnerable to damage. Find a hand cream that you love to use and apply it frequently.
5. A lip balm with a hint of color not only helps keep lips moisturized, but also brightens up your face in a single swipe.
Anne L. Fritzis the former style director forLife & Style Weekly and has been on staff at Woman's DayandWorking Mother. She has contributed toMarie Claire, GlamourandPrevention, and she is the founder ofThe Jet Set Girls, a website about girls' getaways.
*DISCLAIMER*: The information contained in or provided through this site section is intended for general consumer understanding and education only and is not intended to be and is not a substitute for professional advice. Use of this site section and any information contained on or provided through this site section is at your own risk and any information contained on or provided through this site section is provided on an "as is" basis without any representations or warranties.
Thursday, April 17 2014 11:56 AM EDT2014-04-17 15:56:09 GMT
Good morning! Agnes DeRouen in the KPLC 7 Newsroom with a look at what we're working on for 7News@Noon. A deadly new virus, spread by mosquitoes enters the western hemisphere, and experts say there'smore>>
Agnes DeRouen in the KPLC 7 Newsroom with a look at what we're working on for 7News@Noon.more>>
Thursday, April 17 2014 4:43 PM EDT2014-04-17 20:43:50 GMT
Officials with the VA Medical Center in downtown Charleston say a North Charleston man who was initially federally charged with a $525 fine for an $.89 drink refill will instead be given a warning.more>>
Officials with the VA Medical Center in downtown Charleston say a North Charleston man who was initially federally charged with a $525 fine for an $.89 drink refill will instead be given a warning. more>>
Thursday, April 17 2014 1:55 PM EDT2014-04-17 17:55:55 GMT
(WMC-TV) - A so-called Voodoo priest's Mid-South home is concerning many people in the area. The man's house and lawn have interesting items, some that appear to be related to Voodoo. His neighbor saysmore>>
A so-called Voodoo priest's Mid-South home is concerning many people in the area. more>>
Thursday, April 17 2014 3:20 PM EDT2014-04-17 19:20:39 GMT
According to the Louisiana Attorney General, a Denham Springs man has been arrested on charges of multiple sex crimes against children.Giles Frederick Thibodeaux, Jr., 44, was arrested Wednesday and chargedmore>>
According to the Louisiana Attorney General, a Denham Springs man has been arrested on charges of multiple sex crimes against children.more>>
Friday, April 18 2014 1:27 PM EDT2014-04-18 17:27:46 GMT
The search continues for a man accused of killing his wife and son early Thursday morning. Ronald Green Sr., 44, of Gonzales, is wanted on two counts of first-degree murder in the shooting deaths of Dewonamore>>
Investigators still have many questions as they continue to search for a man they believe killed his estranged wife and son early Thursday morning.more>>
Fox 8 WVUE-TV
Louisiana Media Company, LLC.
1025 S. Jefferson Davis Parkway
New Orleans, LA 70125