City wants more time to investigate suspended taxicab bureau employees
June 16, 2011 at 3:27 PM CDT - Updated August 22 at 5:56 AM
New Orleans, LA - Three suspended taxicab bureau employees will have to wait until August to learn their fate.
Mike Lentz, Joey Cutrer and Travis Trahan went before the New Orleans Civil Service Commission to try to get their jobs back, but the city asked for more time.
The city says it needs the time to conduct its administrative investigation into alleged payroll fraud and an allegation that there was a lack of supervision in the department.
The three employees were placed on emergency suspension for 120 days back in April. That was just two days after their two-year long investigation into an alleged bribery scheme that netted two arrests.
A board member at United Cab, Donald Juneau, was arrested, as well as a taxicab bureau inspector, Ronnie Blake. They were booked in connection with alleged corruption involving taxicab inspection stickers. An attorney for one of the suspended workers says the suspensions still do not make sense.
Since April, one more taxicab bureau employee was suspended. Another investigator quit in lieu of being suspended. And just last week, a new director was hired to overhaul the bureau, which is still under investigation by the inspector general.