Baton Rouge, La. - FEMA says it will continue to pick up the hotel tab for Isaac victims whose homes were damaged from Hurricane Isaac for another couple of weeks. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced Friday that it has granted the state's request for a third extension to the Transitional Sheltering Assistance program. That program allows eligible Hurricane Isaac survivors whose houses have been severely damaged or destroyed to stay in a hotel or motel. It was set to expire on Monday, but the extension means that FEMA will continue to pick up the cost of the room and taxes through October 29th.
"We are aware that some survivors in hard-hit parishes are facing critical challenges to getting back into their homes," said Federal Coordinating Officer Mike Hall. "We are working in close coordination with our state and parish partners to arrive at thoughtful solutions to those challenges. Meanwhile, the TSA extension will offer eligible survivors some relief."
The program, which began Sept. 3, now runs through Oct. 28, with checkout on Oct. 29. Meals, telephone calls and other incidental charges are not covered, and applicants are responsible for any lodging costs above the authorized allowance. The program does not reimburse previously incurred hotel expenses.
Home inspections do not have to be completed before an applicant can be considered for the Transitional Sheltering Assistance program. After a housing inspection is performed, applicants in the sheltering program may remain eligible for this third extension if their home is still unlivable, inaccessible or without power.
TSA is open to eligible applicants whose damaged dwellings are in St. John Parish or in designated zip codes in Ascension, East Baton Rouge, Iberville, Jefferson, Lafourche, Livingston, Orleans, Plaquemines, St. Bernard, St. Charles. St. Helena, St. James, St. Mary, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa, Terrebonne and Washington parishes.