Doctors warn of dangers of magnetic balls - FOX 8 WVUE New Orleans News, Weather, Sports

Doctors warn of dangers of magnetic balls


Doctors give another urgent warning that the magnetic beads found in kids' and adult desk toys can be deadly.

Six months ago, a Mississippi toddler swallowed eight beads and lost almost all of his small intestine. Now a local doctor says incidents have increased ten-fold over the last decade.

Two-year-old Braylon Jordan is happy but has serious health problems.  He carries a backpack because he doesn't have any intestine left.  His backpack carries the nutrition bag that is fed into his veins.  He is proof of what can happen when kids accidentally swallow magnetic beads.

"The amazing part about these things is they have incredible ability to stick together," said Dr. Mark Gilder, a gastroenterologist in Texas.

Doctors say stories like Braylon's are becoming alarmingly more common.  "Six to 10 years ago it was an average 10 incidents per year. This past year we had over 204 cases in our survey," said Dr. Adam Noel of the LSU Health Science Center.

Dr. Noel has led the fight to stop companies from manufacturing these beads and surveyed pediatric gastroenterologists nationwide. 

Meaghin Jordan says her son Braylon started throwing up last April after swallowing the magnetic beads. The beads were from a desk set she bought before he was born.  "Once we saw the X-rays we knew what they were immediately," she said.

An ambulance rushed him from Mississippi to Children's hospital in New Orleans.

"We wish we would have never bought them," said Braylon's dad, Jonathan Jordan.

Powered by WorldNow

Louisiana Media Company, LLC.
1025 S. Jefferson Davis Parkway
New Orleans, LA 70125

General Number: (504) 486-6161
News Tips: (504) 483-1503
News Room Fax: (504) 483-1543

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WVUE. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
WVUE's Public Inspection File can now be accessed online. To access the online public inspection file click here: