Gallery show for accused Picasso vandal raises ire - FOX 8 WVUE New Orleans News, Weather, Sports, Social

Gallery show for accused Picasso vandal raises ire

Photo from artist's Facebook Photo from artist's Facebook
JAMIE STENGLE
Associated Press

A Houston art gallery has raised the ire of the local art community by staging a show of works by a 22-year-old who's been on the lam since being charged with spray-painting a Pablo Picasso painting.

Despite the uproar, Cueto James Art Gallery owner James Perez expects a full house for Friday's opening of 12 works by Uriel Landeros.

"It made me happy that someone could evoke this kind of emotion in people," Perez said.

Landeros was charged with felony graffiti and felony criminal mischief for allegedly defacing "Woman in a Red Armchair" at Houston's Menil Collection on June 13. A video posted on YouTube showed a man holding a stencil up to the work of art and spray-painting it, leaving behind an image of a bullfighter, a bull and the word "conquista," Spanish for conquest.

Perez, who said he was interested in Landeros' work prior to the vandalism charge, said he found the act inspiring.

"It's just taking something and making it your own. I like what Uriel did. That it makes it yours," Perez said.

But the contention that the stencil was itself art has especially angered people in the Houston arts community.

"You don't destroy someone else's artwork and call that art," said artist Mitch Cohen, an arts promoter and founder of the First Saturday Arts Market. "I've never seen such a backlash against a show."

Kristen Kramlich, who creates jewelry and sculptures, said, "It's all about the sensationalism and that's what (Landeros is) riding on and that's what the gallery is riding on."

Perez denied the show is meant to draw attention to himself, saying, "I'm already popular. This is for Uriel."

Art community members also say it's galling to see so much attention being paid to this show when local gallery shows usually escape widespread notice.

"The greatest gallery exhibit in history would not get this publicity," said Houston art blogger Robert Boyd, who noted he'd not heard of Landeros prior to the vandalism charge.

Andree Bober, director of Landmarks, a public art program at the University of Texas at Austin, said this vandalism incident isn't unique.

"It's not a new statement. It's a derivative one," she said.

Earlier this month, a vandal scrawled graffiti on a mural by modern American master Mark Rothko at London's Tate Modern.

Perez said the fugitive artist will speak with attendees via Skype at Friday's gallery opening, but that Landeros would not speak with the media until then.

Perez said that he expects 200-300 people to stream through his 3,000-square-foot gallery Friday night to see paintings that he deems "revolutionary" in subject matter. One painting is of a half-skeletal person.

Landeros, who Perez says is in Mexico, posted a video on YouTube in August in which he explains that he didn't intend to "destroy Pablo's painting or to insult the Menil." He said if he wanted to destroy it, he would have slashed it with a knife or burnt it. Landeros also claimed the Picasso could be restored with "a little bit of Windex."

Menil spokeswoman Gretchen Sammons said the institution had no comment on the show. She said restoration is still underway on the piece and they expect "a full recovery."

Donna Hawkins, a Harris County assistant district attorney, said Landeros faces two to 10 years in prison and up to a $10,000 fine.

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • St. Jude Dream Home tickets almost sold out

    St. Jude Dream Home tickets almost sold out

    Now is the time to reserve your $100 raffle ticket for this year's St. Jude Dream Home being built in Lakeview. 

    more>>

    Now is the time to reserve your $100 raffle ticket for this year's St. Jude Dream Home being built in Lakeview. 

    more>>
  • Jonathan Vilma and Carl Nicks headline the Saints HOF 2017 class

    Jonathan Vilma and Carl Nicks headline the Saints HOF 2017 class

    Vilma helped the Saints win the 2009 Super Bowl. (Photo by Ted Jackson, Nola.com / The Times-Picayune) (Ted Jackson, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune)Vilma helped the Saints win the 2009 Super Bowl. (Photo by Ted Jackson, Nola.com / The Times-Picayune) (Ted Jackson, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune)

    The Saints Hall of Fame today announced two new member for 2017, guard Carl Nicks and linebacker Jonathan Vilma.  Both were vital pieces to the Saints 2009 Super Bowl championship. Vilma, the defensive captain, amassed 130 tackles in '09, and a career-high three interceptions. Vilma played six season in the Black and Gold. Nicks started all 19 games in the 2009 season. He made his first Pro Bowl in 2010. Both will be formally inducted the weekend of the Bears game, October 27-2...

    more>>

    The Saints Hall of Fame today announced two new member for 2017, guard Carl Nicks and linebacker Jonathan Vilma.  Both were vital pieces to the Saints 2009 Super Bowl championship. Vilma, the defensive captain, amassed 130 tackles in '09, and a career-high three interceptions. Vilma played six season in the Black and Gold. Nicks started all 19 games in the 2009 season. He made his first Pro Bowl in 2010. Both will be formally inducted the weekend of the Bears game, October 27-2...

    more>>
  • Former N.O. FBI special agent: Bomber probably had help in Manchester

    Former N.O. FBI special agent: Bomber probably had help in Manchester

    A former FBI special agent says the attacker probably did not make the bomb. (FOX 8)A former FBI special agent says the attacker probably did not make the bomb. (FOX 8)
    Former New Orleans FBI Special Agent in Charge Jim Bernazanni said the Manchester bomber likely had help. He said while past attacks may have come from self-inspired, lone-wolf type terrorist. He thinks the bomber had to have help. Bernazanni pointed to the sophistication of the bomb. It indicates an expert likely built it and then passed it off to the suicide bomber. “Bomb makers for terrorist organizations are valued commodity. They don't blow themselves up, there's only so...more>>
    Former New Orleans FBI Special Agent in Charge Jim Bernazanni said the Manchester bomber likely had help. He said while past attacks may have come from self-inspired, lone-wolf type terrorist. He thinks the bomber had to have help. Bernazanni pointed to the sophistication of the bomb. It indicates an expert likely built it and then passed it off to the suicide bomber. “Bomb makers for terrorist organizations are valued commodity. They don't blow themselves up, there's only so...more>>
Powered by Frankly