For the first time in over a year, the New Orleans Police Department has launched a new recruit class. While the mayor says the department has turned the corner, others say much more manpower is needed. more>>
For the first time in over a year, the New Orleans Police Department has launched a new recruit class. The chief hopes it's the first of many. While the mayor says the department has turned the corner, others say much more manpower is needed. more>>
NOPD reports an arrest in connection with the shooting death of a local college student last week.
FOX 8 News received this press release from NOPD Friday afternoon:
Members of NOPD's Violent Offender Warrant Squad (VOWS) and US Marshals today tracked down and arrested a 16-year-old accused of opening fire on a local college student while he sat in his car last Friday night in New Orleans East.
Homicide detectives say the teenager shot 24-year-old Valan May in the 7800-block of Burke Street on October 19th. May died at a nearby hospital early the next morning.
After processing evidence found on the scene and conducting several interviews, investigators were able to identify the teenaged suspect, and obtained a warrant for his arrest.
At around 7am this morning, members of VOWS and US Marshals located the suspect at his home in the 8900-block of Curran Boulevard, and arrested him without incident. He was booked in the Juvenile Division with one count of Second Degree Murder.
"This was a collaborative effort by multiple divisions of this police department which was executed brilliantly", said Superintendent Ronal Serpas.
"Homicide detectives worked countless hours on this case during this past week on a fact-finding mission. And members of our Intelligence Unit uncovered some of the final details needed to make this arrest. This was a solid effort on our officers' part, and demonstrative of how they're determined to make the streets safer for the people of New Orleans", said Serpas.
Sign up for emails from FOX 8 Live
Get news and forecasts from FOX 8 delivered to your inbox by signing up for the lists below.
Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
Three years after the Gulf oil disaster, areas of the South Louisiana marsh fall silent. more>>
Three years after the Gulf oil disaster, areas of the South Louisiana marsh fall silent. Researchers expected the wildlife population to be impacted by oil in the first year and then bounce back. In some areas, that has yet to happen.more>>