Ponchatoula woman dies in house fire

Ponchatoula, LA- A 59-year-old Ponchatoula woman died in an overnight house fire.

Saturday morning at 3:00 a.m., firefighters were called to a mobile home in the 2100 block of Katina Road in Ponchatoula.

The woman has been identified as Annette Athmann.

A spokesperson from the Louisiana State Fire Marshal's Office says, that once the fire was extinguished, first responders discovered Athmann's remains in her bedroom.

Officials suspect the cause of the fire was unsafe smoking practices. They do not believe that criminal activity or arson caused the fire.

Investigators say that the batteries were removed from the home's smoke alarms prior to the fire.

State Fire Marshal H. "Butch" Browning stated, "This loss of life may have been avoided had there been working smoke alarms in the home."