NOPD takes steps to prevent Halloween violence - FOX 8 WVUE New Orleans News, Weather, Sports

NOPD takes steps to prevent Halloween violence

Updated:
The scene from last year's Halloween shootings, Bourbon and St. Louis The scene from last year's Halloween shootings, Bourbon and St. Louis
New Orleans, La. -

The New Orleans Police Department is geared up for big crowds as some Halloween revelers head to the French Quarter to enjoy their night.

It's been one year since a Halloween shooting killed one man and wounded seven other people.  Police say they are determined to make sure nothing like that happens again.

The revelers are already crowding the French Quarter Wednesday evening.  Delivery trucks lined the streets earlier in the day, stocking up bars for one of the busiest nights of the year.

As saloon keepers prepare, many remember what happened one year ago.

"It was wall to wall and we heard pops in the distance,"said Donald St Charles.

On a packed Bourbon Street last Halloween, crowds scattered, as gunfire rang out.  Eight people were shot at the corner of Bourbon and St. Louis in a shooting that made national headlines.  19-year-old Joshua Lewis was killed and seven wounded, including a group of teenagers.

"Down in the French Quarter and the CBD on tomorrow night we'll have an excess of 170 police officers to ensure that we're very visible and that the Halloween night goes without any problems,"said NOPD Superintendent Ronal Serpas on Tuesday.

Police have already brought out their mobile crowd control towers and have lit up the intersection where last year's shootings occurred. They are also mounting cameras at that intersection.

Some of the entertainment is different this year.  Unlike last year, Chris Owens will be performing at her club at the corner where those shootings occurred.  And many bar owners say they will be scanning patrons, turning back any that show up with weapons.

Whoever last year's shooters were are likely to be still on the loose, police did make one arrest, but charges were dropped.   Marvin Carter was released in March, due to a lack of evidence,

In spite of last year's violence, many say they will be in the Quarter.  Others will make different plans.  Either way, police say they are ready and eager to avoid national headlines this Halloween.

Powered by WorldNow

Fox 8 WVUE-TV
Louisiana Media Company, LLC.
1025 S. Jefferson Davis Parkway
New Orleans, LA 70125

General Number: (504) 486-6161
News Tips: (504) 483-1503
News Room Fax: (504) 483-1543

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WVUE. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.