Worker injured in Gulf platform fire dies - FOX 8 WVUE New Orleans News, Weather, Sports

Worker injured in Gulf platform fire dies


The Embassy of the Philippines issued the following statement Friday morning:

WASHINGTON, D.C.—One of four Filipino oil workers seriously injured in the explosion and fire that struck the oil platform they were working on in the Gulf of Mexico last week passed away this morning, the Philippine Embassy said.

"The Embassy has been informed of the sad news that one of our kababayans injured in the November 16 incident in the Gulf of Mexico, Avelino L. Tajonera, passed away early this morning in the presence of his loved ones," Ambassador Jose L. Cuisia, Jr. said. "The Filipino nation joins his family in grieving over their loss."

Ambassador Cuisia said Tajonera, who was one of two workers listed in critical condition, passed away early on Friday (Saturday in Manila), shortly after the arrival of his widow and three children from Manila. The cause of death of Tajonera, 49, a welder from Dinalupihan, Bataan, was not immediately known.

Ambassador Cuisia said he was informed of Tajonera's death by Randolf Malagapo, Executive Manager of the US-based D&R Resources, which hired him and the other injured Filipinos to work in Louisiana's offshore oil and gas industry.

Malagapo informed the Embassy that the members of Tajonera's family were able to see him at the Regional Burn Unit of the Baton Rouge General Hospital shortly after they arrived from the Philippines on Thursday evening. He passed away a few hours later.

Both Ambassador Cuisia and Consul General Leo Herrera-Lim of the Philippine Consulate General in Chicago have expressed their condolences to the family of Tajonera. They assured the family that the Philippine Government will extend any assistance they may require.

Tajonera's death bring to two the number of fatalities in the November 16 explosion and fire that also left three other Filipinos seriously injured and one missing. Ellroy Corporal, 42, died in the incident while Jerome Malagapo, 28, has still not been found.

Ambassador Cuisia said the family members of the three injured Filipinos have arrived in Baton Rouge and have been given access to the patients. They are being assisted by D&R Resources and Grand Isle Shipyard Inc.

Consul General Herrera-Lim, at the same time, said three other Filipino workers who survived the incident are now back in Manila, after giving their accounts of the incident to federal authorities investigating the cause of the fire. He also said the remains of Corporal will be repatriated to the Philippines on Tuesday. ###

Powered by WorldNow

Louisiana Media Company, LLC.
1025 S. Jefferson Davis Parkway
New Orleans, LA 70125

General Number: (504) 486-6161
News Tips: (504) 483-1503
News Room Fax: (504) 483-1543

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WVUE. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
WVUE's Public Inspection File can now be accessed online. To access the online public inspection file click here: