New Orleans, La.- The New Orleans Fire Department responded to a fire in the 2500 block of Freret Street around 9:30 a.m. Thursday.
Upon arrival, firefighters discovered a single-story, wood-framed, occupied shotgun double home with heavy smoke and flames coming from both units.
Neighbors told the resident at 2500 Freret Street that her home was on fire and she needed to get out.
Investigators determined that the fire began in a bedroom located near the center of the home at 2502 Freret Street and believe an unattended electric space heater caused the fire.
In addition, there was a noticeable hole in the floor of the bedroom where the heater had burned through.