Toddler dies after being given cleaning solution not water - FOX 8 WVUE New Orleans News, Weather, Sports

Toddler dies after grandma accidentally gives him water bottle full of cleaning solution

Updated:

MERCED, Calif. (AP) – Authorities in Merced County, Calif., say no charges are expected to be filed after a two-year-old boy died from drinking cleaning fluid.

Authorities tell the Merced Sun-Star that the child's grandmother gave the boy what she thought was a bottle of water to drink Friday afternoon. The boy had become thirsty while playing at his grandparents' shop and the grandmother found the bottle on the floorboard of her husband's truck.

But the bottle actually contained solution used to clean aluminum rims.

Officials say the grandfather realized what the boy had ingested after he started choking. He was rushed to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Officials say the incident was nothing more than a tragic accident.

 

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Powered by WorldNow

Fox 8 WVUE-TV
Louisiana Media Company, LLC.
1025 S. Jefferson Davis Parkway
New Orleans, LA 70125

General Number: (504) 486-6161
News Tips: (504) 483-1503
News Room Fax: (504) 483-1543

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WVUE. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
WVUE's Public Inspection File can now be accessed online. To access the online public inspection file click here: https://stations.fcc.gov/station-profile/wvue-dt.