NOPD makes three arrests in Garden District kidnapping case - FOX 8 WVUE New Orleans News, Weather, Sports

NOPD makes three arrests in Garden District kidnapping case

Updated:
A surveillance image sent out by NOPD Wednesday shows the person of interest sought in connection to the Garden District attack. Chief Serpas says this individual surrendered to police Thursday. A surveillance image sent out by NOPD Wednesday shows the person of interest sought in connection to the Garden District attack. Chief Serpas says this individual surrendered to police Thursday.
New Orleans, La. -

A 15-year-old boy has confessed to kidnapping and raping a Garden District resident Monday night.  Now, police have arrested two more juveniles whom they say are also responsible for the attack.

The crime scared Garden District residents and people all over the city.

On Monday at 6:30 p.m., a 30-year-old woman was getting out of her car in front of her house on Eighth Street when two men approached, one with a gun. The pair forced the woman into their car where a third man was waiting behind the wheel. They drove around for 45 minutes, beating and sexually assaulting her. Then they dropped her back off at home and stole her car.

NOPD Superintendent Ronal Serpas says, "This was a ruthless, treacherous, cruel, violent attack."

On Thursday morning a 15-year-old boy confessed to committing the crime. This happened after his face was plastered all over the news. His picture was captured by a camera and then distributed to the media.

"I cannot tell you how grateful I am to the family of this young man who turned himself in this morning. His family saw his picture. His family brought him in today to be held accountable for his crimes. That is how we turn the tide on crime in this city. Families looking to take care of their children and hold them responsible," Serpas said.

Thursday night, NOPD sent this brief statement to news media, reporting the latest arrests in the case:

Our officers made 2 more arrests tonight in the sexual assault on 8th street. Two warrants were obtained this afternoon and at about 6:30pm, officers picked up a 16-year-old suspect at his home, and an 18-year-old, Christopher Davis, who was located a few blocks from his residence on Toledano Street. That arrest happened at 6:40 tonight. Christopher Davis has previously arrested for Criminal Mischief and Battery. Both are being booked with aggravated rape, aggravated kidnapping, aggravated battery and armed robbery.

The chief says he's spoken to District Attorney Leon Cannizzaro, who will consider prosecuting the suspects as adults. That could land them in jail for up to 50 to 60 years if convicted.

Garden District residents say the fact that a 15-year-old could take part in such a crime is shocking.

"That's pretty scary because you don't expect a kid to be able to think of something like that or commit something like that," Jeanne Robertson said.

Justin Supak commented, "It kind of takes words out of my mouth that this would happen. Like, it's such a young age that they would do something like this."

According to Mayor Mitch Landrieu, the community provided tremendous help to the NOPD on this case. But it's the police department that worked round the clock trying to solve this case.

"I want to make clear that this city, our neighborhoods, and this police department take very seriously crimes against women and against children," Landrieu said.

Powered by WorldNow

Fox 8 WVUE-TV
Louisiana Media Company, LLC.
1025 S. Jefferson Davis Parkway
New Orleans, LA 70125

General Number: (504) 486-6161
News Tips: (504) 483-1503
News Room Fax: (504) 483-1543

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WVUE. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
WVUE's Public Inspection File can now be accessed online. To access the online public inspection file click here: https://stations.fcc.gov/station-profile/wvue-dt.