So far, four alleged victims - ages 5 to 15 - have come forward, and investigators say there may be many more. more>>
So far, four alleged victims - ages 5 to 15 - have come forward, and investigators say there may be many more.more>>
NEW ORLEANS (AP) - The Superdome's power company took the blame Friday for the Super Bowl blackout, saying the cause was a faulty device that had been installed in its switching gear and designed to prevent a failure of electric cables leading to the stadium.
Officials of Entergy New Orleans, a subsidiary of New Orleans-based Entergy Corp., said the device, called a relay, had been installed to protect the Superdome from a cable failure between the company's incoming power line and lines that run into the stadium.
Company officials said the device performed without problem during January's Sugar Bowl and other earlier events.
They said the device has been removed and replacement equipment will be installed.
The power failure at Sunday's big game cut lights to about half of the stadium for 34 minutes, halting play between the Baltimore Ravens and San Francisco 49ers.
Officials of the power company and the company that manages the stadium for the state had said earlier this week that they believed the problem originated in the switching gear, which is housed in a building known as "the vault" near the stadium. The Superdome has a direct line feeding from a nearby Entergy power substation. Once the line reaches the vault, it splits into two cables that then go into the Superdome.
The FBI had ruled out cyberterrorism as a cause.
The announcement came as Entergy officials prepared to go before a committee of the City Council on Friday for questions about the outage. The council is the regulatory body for the company.
SMG and Entergy announced earlier this week that they had been unable to find a specific cause for the outage and would hire an independent consultant. It wasn't immediately clear whether they would go through with the hiring.
The electrical equipment had been replaced after stadium manager's expressed concerns the Superdome might be vulnerable to a power failure like the one that struck Candlestick Park during a 49ers Monday Night Football game in 2011.
City officials had worried that the outage might harm New Orleans' chances of getting another Super Bowl.
But NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell downplayed that possibility after the outage, saying the NFL planned to keep New Orleans in its Super Bowl plans. Mayor Mitch Landrieu said the city intends to bid for the NFL's 2018 championship game.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Sign up for emails from FOX 8 Live
Get news and forecasts from FOX 8 delivered to your inbox by signing up for the lists below.
Friday, April 18 2014 1:27 PM EDT2014-04-18 17:27:46 GMT
The search continues for a man accused of killing his wife and son early Thursday morning. Ronald Green Sr., 44, of Gonzales, is wanted on two counts of first-degree murder in the shooting deaths of Dewonamore>>
Investigators still have many questions as they continue to search for a man they believe killed his estranged wife and son early Thursday morning.more>>
Thursday, April 17 2014 11:56 AM EDT2014-04-17 15:56:09 GMT
Good morning! Agnes DeRouen in the KPLC 7 Newsroom with a look at what we're working on for 7News@Noon. A deadly new virus, spread by mosquitoes enters the western hemisphere, and experts say there'smore>>
Agnes DeRouen in the KPLC 7 Newsroom with a look at what we're working on for 7News@Noon.more>>
Friday, April 18 2014 5:11 PM EDT2014-04-18 21:11:28 GMT
Rescuers scrambled to find hundreds of ferry passengers still missing Friday and feared dead, as fresh questions emerged about whether quicker action by the captain of the doomed ship could have saved lives.more>>
Police arrested the captain and two other crew members of the South Korean ferry that sank two days ago, leaving more than 270 people missing and 29 people dead, the Yonhap news agency reported Saturday.more>>
Thursday, April 17 2014 4:43 PM EDT2014-04-17 20:43:50 GMT
Officials with the VA Medical Center in downtown Charleston say a North Charleston man who was initially federally charged with a $525 fine for an $.89 drink refill will instead be given a warning.more>>
Officials with the VA Medical Center in downtown Charleston say a North Charleston man who was initially federally charged with a $525 fine for an $.89 drink refill will instead be given a warning. more>>
Fox 8 WVUE-TV
Louisiana Media Company, LLC.
1025 S. Jefferson Davis Parkway
New Orleans, LA 70125