A four-day sting led by the state's Attorney General's Office lands nine accused child predators in jail. They're accused of creating child pornography and distributing it across the Internet.
The AG's Louisiana Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force used state-of-the-art technology to track down evidence for each person arrested. Investigators say in some cases, they were able to rescue victims during the undercover operation.
"The people we arrested were actually manufacturing, so they were abusing the children as well as videotaping their abuse," said David Ferris with the AG's High Tech Crime Unit.
• John Andrew Becnel, 22, of Gonzales, charged with 20 counts of pornography involving juveniles; booked into Ascension Parish Prison
• Michael Wesley, 57, of Plaquemines, charged with 11 counts of pornography involving juveniles; booked into Iberville Parish Prison
• Bradley Bourque, 32, of Baton Rouge, charged with 25 counts of pornography involving juveniles; booked into East Baton Rouge Parish Prison
• Jude Stelly, 29, of St. Martinville, charged with 10 counts of possessing pornography involving juveniles; 10 counts of distributing pornography involving juveniles; booked into St. Martin Parish Prison
• Tony J. Latiolais, 46, of Breaux Bridge, charged with indecent behavior with a juvenile and computer-aided solicitation of a minor; booked into St. Martin Parish Prison
• Joshua Villa, 33, of Broussard, charged with aggravated incest; 20 counts of possessing pornography involving juveniles; 9 counts of distributing pornography involving juveniles, 5 counts of producing pornography involving juveniles; booked into Lafayette Parish Prison
• Chad Sonnier, 32, of Church Point, charged with pornography involving juveniles; booked into Acadia Parish Prison
• Lucas Wimberly, 27, of Lake Charles, charged with 10 counts of possession of pornography involving juveniles; 5 counts of distributing pornography involving juveniles; booked into Calcasieu Parish Prison
• Robert Hawes, 58, of Sulphur, charged with 16 counts of pornography involving juveniles; booked into Calcasieu Parish Prison
More arrests are expected as a result of the investigation.
To report suspected cases of child exploitation, contact local law enforcement or the Attorney General's Office at 1-800-256-4506.
FOX 8's Baton Rouge affiliate WBRZ contributed to this report.
Thursday, April 24 2014 5:41 AM EDT2014-04-24 09:41:16 GMT
Officials say a body has been found in the Dutch Bayou in St. John the Baptist Parish Wednesday afternoon.The St. John Coroner's Office has been called to the scene to collect the body that was found inmore>>
Officials said a body was found in a bayou in St. John the Baptist Parish on Wednesday. The victim's name was not released and the cause of death is unknown. more>>
Thursday, April 24 2014 9:49 AM EDT2014-04-24 13:49:46 GMT
According to WTVA, an Amber Alert has been issued for a missing Lowndes County toddler. Lowndes County Chief Deputy Marc Miley says they are searching for 2-year-old Malia Harris of Columbus. Officialsmore>>
Georgia officials believe suspects in the Mississippi Amber Alert case may be in southwest Georgia. Cook County, GA investigators have been actively searching the Lenox area for the suspects. Officials confirmed a heavy presence of law enforcement in that area Wednesday night.more>>
Wednesday, April 23 2014 5:26 PM EDT2014-04-23 21:26:16 GMT
A music teacher from Monroe accused of inappropriately touching two students was scheduled to make a court appearance Wednesday.Bruce Connery, 68, was set for an arraignment in Bridgeport.Police said themore>>
A music teacher from Monroe, who is accused of inappropriately touching two students, blamed his behavior on being Italian, according to court records.more>>