Hundreds to be stricken from La. sex registry - FOX 8, WVUE, fox8live.com, weather, app, news, saints

Hundreds to be stricken from La. sex registry

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - Hundreds of people who were convicted of soliciting oral or anal sex for money under Louisiana's "crime against nature by solicitation" law will have their names removed from the state's sex offender registry following the settlement of a class-action lawsuit.

U.S District Judge Martin Feldman on Tuesday approved the settlement agreement between the New York-based Center for Constitutional Rights and Louisiana Attorney General James "Buddy" Caldwell's office.

Feldman ruled last year that nine plaintiffs who were convicted of the offense must be stricken from the registry. Plaintiffs' lawyers argued the ruling should be applied to roughly 700 others in the same position.

The settlement doesn't apply to people convicted of soliciting sex from a minor or anyone who was convicted of another sex offense subject to registration.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Zurik: Convention Center out-of-town totals 'essentially useless'

    Zurik: Convention Center out-of-town totals 'essentially useless'

    A critic of convention centers says the one here in New Orleans must not care about being wrong. Almost two years ago, we investigated the Morial Convention Center and showed how their attendance numbers are way off.  Now, new numbers show the trend continues, possibly worse than ever. 

    more>>

    A critic of convention centers says the one here in New Orleans must not care about being wrong. Almost two years ago, we investigated the Morial Convention Center and showed how their attendance numbers are way off.  Now, new numbers show the trend continues, possibly worse than ever. 

    more>>
  • Zulu King files paperwork to have lawsuit thrown out

    Zulu King files paperwork to have lawsuit thrown out

    Former Zulu Social Aid and Pleasure Club president Naaman Stewart, pictured here in 2016. (Photo by Peter G. Forest, Nola.com | The Times-Picayune)Former Zulu Social Aid and Pleasure Club president Naaman Stewart, pictured here in 2016. (Photo by Peter G. Forest, Nola.com | The Times-Picayune)
    Former Zulu Social Aid and Pleasure Club president Naaman Stewart, pictured here in 2016. (Photo by Peter G. Forest, Nola.com | The Times-Picayune)Former Zulu Social Aid and Pleasure Club president Naaman Stewart, pictured here in 2016. (Photo by Peter G. Forest, Nola.com | The Times-Picayune)

    The former Zulu president and current king wants a judge to throw out a civil suit alleging sexual harassment. 

    more>>

    The former Zulu president and current king wants a judge to throw out a civil suit alleging sexual harassment. 

    more>>
  • Two of 5 teens arrested in Metairie car chase, shootout have criminal history

    Two of 5 teens arrested in Metairie car chase, shootout have criminal history

    These two teenagers are accused of being in a car whose passengers shot at Jefferson Parish sheriff's deputies. (Source: JPSO)These two teenagers are accused of being in a car whose passengers shot at Jefferson Parish sheriff's deputies. (Source: JPSO)
    These two teenagers are accused of being in a car whose passengers shot at Jefferson Parish sheriff's deputies. (Source: JPSO)These two teenagers are accused of being in a car whose passengers shot at Jefferson Parish sheriff's deputies. (Source: JPSO)

       Jefferson parish deputies keep looking tonight for a teenager accused in an early morning chase and shootout. 

    more>>

       Jefferson parish deputies keep looking tonight for a teenager accused in an early morning chase and shootout. 

    more>>
Powered by Frankly