Lightning strike sparks fire at Slidell home

Slidell, La. - A lightning strike Thursday sparked a fire that heavily damaged a Slidell home.

A spokesman for St. Tammany Fire Protection District #1 says around 2:30pm, firefighters responded to the blaze at a home at 205 Camborne Lane.

Firefighters arrived on the scene to find heavy smoke and flames coming through the roof. Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire and bring the situation under control within 21 minutes of arriving on the scene.

The residents were home when they heard a loud boom that shook the house. A short time later the house began to fill with smoke and they were able to safely evacuate.

The fire started in the attic and eventually broke through the roof above the kitchen. Half of the residence received heavy fire damage with light smoke damage throughout the rest of the home.  The blaze was caused by a lightning strike.

No injuries were reported.