New Orleans, La. - With the Miami Heat crowned the champions of the NBA, the league's attention turns to the draft. It will be the first selection process for the New Orleans Pelicans but the franchise, dating back to it's days in Charlotte, has a very successful history in the draft lottery. The following is a look back at the franchise's draft history, as provided by the Pelicans:
• This marks the first NBA Draft that the franchise will participate in under the new branding, the New Orleans Pelicans.
• The franchise has never drafted in the 6th slot in the draft.
• This marks the second consecutive year in which the franchise will held a top 10 pick. This also marks the third top-10 pick for the franchise in the past two seasons. The franchise has selected in the top 10 picks nine times entering the 2013 NBA draft.
• The franchise has held 13 lottery selections in the NBA draft prior to tonight. Twice, the franchise has traded their lottery pick on draft night (Kobe Bryant to the Los Angeles Lakers in 1996; Cole Aldrich to the Oklahoma City Thunder in 2010).
• Of the 11 lottery picks that played their rookie year with the franchise, seven have been named to the NBA All-Rookie Team. Five of those were named to the first team (Kendall Gill – 1991, Larry Johnson – 1992, Alonzo Mourning – 1993, Chris Paul – 2006, Anthony Davis – 2013). Two of those also won NBA Rookie of the Year honors (Johnson, Paul).
• Four of the 11 lottery picks that went on to play for the franchise have been named to the All-Star game during their careers (Larry Johnson, Alonzo Mourning, Baron Davis, Chris Paul).
• The franchise will not have a second round selection for the first time since 2010. The franchise has previously held only one selection in the draft just seven times (1994, 1995, 2000, 2001, 2008, 2010, and 2011). The past three times the franchise has had just one selection in the draft, the pick was traded for either financial considerations or the rights to another draft pick (cash considerations in 2008 and 2011).
• Twice, the franchise has made no selections in the draft (1997 and 2002).
• The franchise has been in the draft lottery 11 times in franchise history (excluding 1988, when they were an expansion team and had yet to play a game). They have improved their win total in the following season eight times (+7 in 1990-91, +5 in 1991-92, +13 in 1992-93, +23 in 1999-00, +20 in 2005-06, +1 in 2006-07, +17 in 2008-09, and +6 in 2012-13).
• Kentucky has produced four first round selections for the franchise, the most of any school (Rex Chapman in 1988, Tony Delk in 1996, Jamaal Magloire in 2000 and Anthony Davis in 2012).
Sign up for emails from FOX 8 Live
Get news and forecasts from FOX 8 delivered to your inbox by signing up for the lists below.
Thursday, April 17 2014 11:56 AM EDT2014-04-17 15:56:09 GMT
Good morning! Agnes DeRouen in the KPLC 7 Newsroom with a look at what we're working on for 7News@Noon. A deadly new virus, spread by mosquitoes enters the western hemisphere, and experts say there'smore>>
Agnes DeRouen in the KPLC 7 Newsroom with a look at what we're working on for 7News@Noon.more>>
Friday, April 18 2014 5:56 PM EDT2014-04-18 21:56:17 GMT
The search continues for a man accused of killing his wife and son early Thursday morning. Ronald Green Sr., 44, of Gonzales, is wanted on two counts of first-degree murder in the shooting deaths of Dewonamore>>
Investigators still have many questions as they continue to search for a man they believe killed his estranged wife and son early Thursday morning.more>>
Friday, April 18 2014 10:51 PM EDT2014-04-19 02:51:26 GMT
Rescuers scrambled to find hundreds of ferry passengers still missing Friday and feared dead, as fresh questions emerged about whether quicker action by the captain of the doomed ship could have saved lives.more>>
The captain of the ferry that sank off South Korea, leaving more than 300 missing or dead, was arrested early Saturday on suspicion of negligence and abandoning people in need - three of whom were seen lifeless in the...more>>