City removes Bourbon St nighttime preaching ban - FOX 8 WVUE New Orleans News, Weather, Sports, Social

City removes Bourbon St nighttime preaching ban

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - The New Orleans City Council has overturned its ban against preaching after dark on Bourbon Street. The revision of the city's "aggressive solicitation" ordinance passed 6-0 on Thursday and takes effect immediately.

A federal judge barred enforcement in September after a street preacher sued the city in federal court. Attorney Nathan Kellum says preacher Paul Gros won't drop his lawsuit.

He says there must be vindication of Gros' constitutional rights. The measure was passed in 2011. The first people arrested under the ordinance may have been a few street preachers picked up during the Southern Decadence gay pride festival over the Labor Day weekend in 2012.

Earlier this month, U.S. District Judge Carl Barbier canceled a trial scheduled Aug. 12 and scheduled a status conference Aug. 15.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Powered by Frankly