BP balks at paying claims administrator - FOX 8, WVUE, fox8live.com, weather, app, news, saints

BP balks at paying claims administrator

FOX 8 file photo FOX 8 file photo
MICHAEL KUNZELMAN
Associated Press

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - BP is balking at paying more than $130 million in administrative fees to the court-supervised administrator of its multi-billion dollar settlement with Gulf Coast businesses and residents after the 2010 oil spill, claiming the settlement program has been plagued by poor productivity and excessive costs.

A federal magistrate has scheduled a hearing Wednesday on whether BP PLC should be ordered to fund claims administrator Patrick Juneau's proposed third-quarter budget.

In a letter dated Monday, BP claims official Maria Travis said the company cannot determine if Juneau's budget request is reasonable without more documentation.

"It would be unreasonable to approve a budget that validates and incentivizes the various claims administration vendors to perpetuate their track record of poor productivity and excessive costs," Travis wrote to Juneau's office.

Separately, BP has asked a judge to suspend all settlement payments while former FBI Director Louis Freeh investigates allegations of misconduct by an attorney who worked on Juneau's staff. Lionel H. Sutton III, who resigned on June 21, is accused of receiving a portion of settlement proceeds for claims he referred to a law firm before he went to work for Juneau.

U.S. District Judge Carl Barbier rejected that request last month, but BP renewed its request for a temporary halt in payments on Monday, citing new allegations of fraud and conflicts of interest inside the settlement program.

In a court filing Monday, BP said at least two lawyers who have ruled on appeals of disputed settlement awards were partners at law firms that have represented claimants and filed claims of their own for the firms to be compensated.

BP spokesman Geoff Morrell in an emailed statement said under the settlement agreement, the claims administrator's budget is subject to BP's "reasonable approval."

"We have noted in submissions to the court and in meetings with the CSSP that we have grave concerns about the lack of controls, oversight, and cost management within the facility," Morrell said in the statement. "Our August 5th letter simply asked the CSSP to provide a detailed explanation and justification for a third quarter budget that summarily requested over $130 million. We are entitled to such information under the agreement, and in our view it would be unreasonable to approve a budget request of that size without such information."

BP also said it recently learned of allegations that someone employed by the settlement program at its Mobile, Ala., center helped people submit fraudulent claims in exchange for a portion of the awards. Juneau's office suspended that employee and a co-worker who allegedly helped that employee access claims data.

Travis said in her letter that Juneau's office has racked up more than $500 million in administrative expenses since last year, when Barbier appointed him to take over the process of evaluating and paying claims from the Gulf Coast Claims Facility, led by Kenneth Feinberg.

Travis said Juneau's third-quarter budget request was in an email that listed the total amount requested along with a "simple, 13 line chart generally identifying dollar amounts by vendor."

"The proposed budget does not evidence a systematic, disciplined budgeting process," she wrote.

Juneau said in a statement, "We will be fully prepared to address and will address the request of the claims administrator to fund the proposed third quarter budget."

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Mayor and city officials provide updates on winter weather

    Mayor and city officials provide updates on winter weather

    FOX 8 photoFOX 8 photo

    MOBILE Users can view the live press conference here. New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu and city officials will update residents on winter weather precautions. The update is scheduled to begin at 3:30 p.m. Expected to be in attendance: Mayor Mitch Landrieu Aaron Miller, Director, NOESEP Chief Michael Harrison, Superintendent, NOPD Chief McConnell, Superintendent, NOFD Dr. Jeffrey Elder, Director, EMS Dani Galloway, Director, DPW Dr. Joseph Kanter, Director, Health Departmen...

    more>>

    MOBILE Users can view the live press conference here. New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu and city officials will update residents on winter weather precautions. The update is scheduled to begin at 3:30 p.m. Expected to be in attendance: Mayor Mitch Landrieu Aaron Miller, Director, NOESEP Chief Michael Harrison, Superintendent, NOPD Chief McConnell, Superintendent, NOFD Dr. Jeffrey Elder, Director, EMS Dani Galloway, Director, DPW Dr. Joseph Kanter, Director, Health Departmen...

    more>>
  • Woman arrested twice in one weekend for theft, blames diabetes

    Woman arrested twice in one weekend for theft, blames diabetes

    Amy Stevens. Source: Thibodaux PoliceAmy Stevens. Source: Thibodaux Police
    A Thibodaux woman has been charged after she blamed her diabetes as the cause to her shoplifting habit, according to the Thibodaux Police Department.  Thibodaux Chief of Police Bryan Zeringue said officers arrested Amy Stevens, 42, for theft.  On Monday Stevens went into a grocery store in the 600 Block of Lafourche Drive and stole two packs of ground meat, one pack of ribs and one pack of frozen fish by concealing the items in her purse, according to the report. The next...more>>
    A Thibodaux woman has been charged after she blamed her diabetes as the cause to her shoplifting habit, according to the Thibodaux Police Department.  Thibodaux Chief of Police Bryan Zeringue said officers arrested Amy Stevens, 42, for theft.  On Monday Stevens went into a grocery store in the 600 Block of Lafourche Drive and stole two packs of ground meat, one pack of ribs and one pack of frozen fish by concealing the items in her purse, according to the report. The next...more>>
  • Baton Rouge man sought in connection to St. Charles homicide

    Baton Rouge man sought in connection to St. Charles homicide

    The New Orleans Police Department has issued an arrest warrant for a Baton Rouge man they believe is connected to a homicide that happened on St. Charles Avenue in early January.  According to a report issued by NOPD, Garret James Ward is wanted in connection to the homicide of Arnold Jackson that happened in the 2000 block of St. Charles Avenue on January 6.  Around 1:33 a.m. officers responded to a call of a simple battery at the intersection of St. Charles and Josephine...more>>
    The New Orleans Police Department has issued an arrest warrant for a Baton Rouge man they believe is connected to a homicide that happened on St. Charles Avenue in early January.  According to a report issued by NOPD, Garret James Ward is wanted in connection to the homicide of Arnold Jackson that happened in the 2000 block of St. Charles Avenue on January 6.  Around 1:33 a.m. officers responded to a call of a simple battery at the intersection of St. Charles and Josephine...more>>
Powered by Frankly