Relief well work, cleanup continue at blowout site - FOX 8 WVUE New Orleans News, Weather, Sports, Social

Relief well work, cleanup continue at blowout site

HOUMA, La. (AP) - Federal regulators say drilling continues on a relief well to permanently seal a natural gas well that blew wild last month in the Gulf of Mexico.

Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement spokeswoman Eileen Angelico says crews finished plugging and cementing the original well on Aug. 13. She says debris is still being removed from the sea floor around the well that blew July 23 in shallow water about 55 miles south of Louisiana's coast.

Angelico says no gas has been detected in the area and no sheen has been observed.

The agency is overseeing Walter Oil & Gas Corp.'s cleanup and the drilling that began Aug. 4.

Drilling mud and cement will be pumped into the well once the relief well intercepts it.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • 50 employees fired after refusing flu shot

    50 employees fired after refusing flu shot

    Wednesday, November 22 2017 2:14 AM EST2017-11-22 07:14:40 GMT
    Wednesday, November 22 2017 2:14 AM EST2017-11-22 07:14:40 GMT
    At least 50 enployees at a health company have lost their jobs after refusing to get flu shots. (Source: KBJR/CN)At least 50 enployees at a health company have lost their jobs after refusing to get flu shots. (Source: KBJR/CN)

    Since September, employees have been given three options:  Get the flu shot, get an approved religious or medical exemption, or leave Essentia. At least 50 people have lost their jobs thus far.

    more>>

    Since September, employees have been given three options:  Get the flu shot, get an approved religious or medical exemption, or leave Essentia. At least 50 people have lost their jobs thus far.

    more>>
  • Woman convicted in hair weave killings collapses as guilty verdict read

    Woman convicted in hair weave killings collapses as guilty verdict read

    Saturday, November 18 2017 8:09 AM EST2017-11-18 13:09:51 GMT
    Shelby Isaac (Source: WMC Action News 5)Shelby Isaac (Source: WMC Action News 5)

    Shelby Isaac was found guilty on two counts of second-degree murder in the shooting and killing E.J. Tate, his girlfriend Edwina Thomas, and their unborn child in January 2016. 

    more>>

    Shelby Isaac was found guilty on two counts of second-degree murder in the shooting and killing E.J. Tate, his girlfriend Edwina Thomas, and their unborn child in January 2016. 

    more>>
Powered by Frankly