Shooting suspect had history of domestic issues

Denise Freemen, 43
Denise Freemen, 43

Houma, La. - Outside the home Ben Freeman shared with his wife Denise, neighbors couldn't believe the news.

The Terrebonne Parish Sheriff's Office says an autopsy shows Denise Freeman was strangled, and died as a result of suffocation and drowning.

Her body was found in the bathtub when deputies searched the home Thursday night.

More information has emerged about the suspected shooter.

Freeman married Jeanne Gouaux in 2007, but filed for divorce three years later.

The couple reconciled, but then Goauaux filed for divorce in May of 2011.

In July of 2012, Goaux asked for a restraining order, claiming Freeman would send her harassing text messages.

Custody exchanges of the couple's four children were often heated. Goaux claimed Freeman would show up "in a rage."

One exchange led to Freeman filing for a restraining order against Goaux's father Phillip, claiming the councilman shoved him and threatened to shoot him.

Both restraining orders were dropped but in May of 2013, Jeanne Goaux filed another one saying, "I am afraid of Ben because he has some mental health issues."

Freeman was also charged with telephone harassment after goaux and her father claimed he sent them dozens of text messages, some threatening.

A judge ordered Freeman to be treated for anger management, and stay away from Ochsner St. Anne where Gouaux worked.

But at Terrebonne General Medical Center where Freeman worked, he reportedly showed no signs of any behavior problems.

A hospital spokesperson says "during his 8 month tenure, he displayed compassion and received many compliments from the patients he cared for in the emergency setting."

The spokesperson goes on to say no red flags were raised during Freeman's background check.

Freeman was charged recently by Terrebonne Parish sheriff's deputies for simple battery domestic violence.

Denise Freeman claimed her husband slapped her.

He was scheduled to appear in court January 16th.