Warrant: Hernandez eyed as gunman in 2012 slayings - FOX 8, WVUE, fox8live.com, weather, app, news, saints

Warrant: Hernandez eyed as gunman in 2012 slayings

(Associated Press) (Associated Press)

BRISTOL, Conn. (AP) - Boston police have been investigating whether jailed former New England Patriot Aaron Hernandez may have been the gunman in a 2012 double slaying, according to a search warrant released Thursday.
    
Hernandez, who is awaiting trial on murder charges in a 2013 shooting near his home, was seen on surveillance footage in the same nightclub as the victims on the night of the attack in Boston's South End, authorities have said. But newly released documents in Connecticut confirm for the first time that police suspect Hernandez could have carried out the shooting.
    
No charges have been filed in the deaths of Daniel Jorge Correia de Abreu and Safiro Teixeira Furtado, who were killed on July 16, 2012, when somebody inside an SUV opened fire on their car. A third person was shot but survived.
    
A June 28 Boston police affidavit, released by Superior Court in Bristol, Conn., says there is probable cause to believe that Hernandez was driving the vehicle used in the shooting and "may have been the shooter."
    
The affidavit was filed as police sought to search an SUV they say was involved in the shooting and was found at Hernandez's uncle's home in Bristol, where Hernandez was raised. The SUV had been given to Hernandez by a Rhode Island company in exchange for participating in promotional activities, according to court filings.
    
Authorities found the SUV while investigating the slaying of Odin Lloyd, a semi-professional football player whose body was found June 17 near Hernandez's North Attleborough, Mass., home. Hernandez has pleaded not guilty to murder in that case.
    
A lawyer for Hernandez did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • FOX 8 Defenders: Nuisance pool in Lakeview remains black, stagnant

    At the longtime nuisance property on Vicksburg, the swimming pool water remains black and stagnant. (FOX 8 Photo)At the longtime nuisance property on Vicksburg, the swimming pool water remains black and stagnant. (FOX 8 Photo)

    Months after a FOX 8 Defenders report exposed some of the worst repeat blight offenders in one neighborhood, there is some progress.  However, neighbors worry one nuisance property remains a disturbing health and safety hazard.  

    more>>

    Months after a FOX 8 Defenders report exposed some of the worst repeat blight offenders in one neighborhood, there is some progress.  However, neighbors worry one nuisance property remains a disturbing health and safety hazard.  

    more>>
  • NOLA-based flag football team wins $1M game

    NOLA-based flag football team wins $1M game

    Team Fighting Cancer won a $1M payday in Houston. Source: AFFLTeam Fighting Cancer won a $1M payday in Houston. Source: AFFL
    Team Fighting Cancer won a $1M payday in Houston. Source: AFFLTeam Fighting Cancer won a $1M payday in Houston. Source: AFFL
    A New Orleans-based flag football team won a $1M game against a team made up of former NFL players. Team Fighting Cancer won the American Flag Football League (AFFL) championship over Godspeed, 26-6. The Cajun Kings are #AFFL Champs ?????? #flagfootball pic.twitter.com/yAmfetoNXu — American Flag Football League (@FlagFootball) July 20, 2018 Fighting Cancer's Darrell "Housh" Doucette threw two touchdowns in the contest. Godspeed's roster was littered with former...more>>
    A New Orleans-based flag football team won a $1M game against a team made up of former NFL players. Team Fighting Cancer won the American Flag Football League (AFFL) championship over Godspeed, 26-6. The Cajun Kings are #AFFL Champs ?????? #flagfootball pic.twitter.com/yAmfetoNXu — American Flag Football League (@FlagFootball) July 20, 2018 Fighting Cancer's Darrell "Housh" Doucette threw two touchdowns in the contest. Godspeed's roster was littered with former...more>>
  • Lafayette Academy enrollment to be split due to asbestos contamination

    Lafayette Academy enrollment to be split due to asbestos contamination

    Students across southeast Louisiana begin summer break. (FOX 8 File)Students across southeast Louisiana begin summer break. (FOX 8 File)

    It was standing room only at the Orleans Parish School Board meeting Thursday, with close to two dozen parents turning out to tell officials their thoughts on asbestos contamination at an Orleans Parish Charter School.

    more>>

    It was standing room only at the Orleans Parish School Board meeting Thursday, with close to two dozen parents turning out to tell officials their thoughts on asbestos contamination at an Orleans Parish Charter School.

    more>>
Powered by Frankly