Child dies from infected rat; family sues Petco - FOX 8 WVUE New Orleans News, Weather, Sports

Child dies from infected rat; family sues Petco

Updated:

SAN DIEGO (AP) - Lawyers representing a San Diego family have filed a lawsuit against Petco Animal Supplies Inc., saying a 10-year-old boy died from rat-bite fever contracted from a male rat purchased at one of the national chain's stores.
    
Attorney John Gomez told The Associated Press on Tuesday that his firm filed the lawsuit in San Diego County on Monday seeking an unspecified amount for the suffering endured by the Pankey family, whose son, Aidan, died June 12, 2013, hours after being rushed to the hospital with severe stomach pains.
    
The San Diego County Medical Examiner's Office has confirmed the cause of the boy's death was an infection from a rat.
    
The retailer in a statement expressed its condolences. Petco says safety is a top priority and it was looking into the matter.

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Powered by WorldNow

Fox 8 WVUE-TV
Louisiana Media Company, LLC.
1025 S. Jefferson Davis Parkway
New Orleans, LA 70125

General Number: (504) 486-6161
News Tips: (504) 483-1503
News Room Fax: (504) 483-1543

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WVUE. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.