Information contained on this page is provided by an independent third-party content provider. WorldNow and this Station make no warranties or representations in connection therewith. If you have any questions or comments about this page please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
SOURCE Decision Resources
Commercial Opportunities and Hurdles are Pinpointed Worldwide by Decision Resources Group's Country Experts in New Global Market Access Webinar Series
BURLINGTON, Mass., June 12, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Decision Resources Group finds that global market access planning is growing in complexity as each country's evolving regulations change the context in which pharmaceutical brands are entering and maximizing their presence. Healthcare reforms and cost containment measures are impacting pharmaceutical spending in markets like Colombia or Taiwan, which also have positives for pharma-like a relatively high level of pharmaceutical spending or pervasive health insurance coverage. Other markets-such as Vietnam or the Philippines-are increasing financial support for healthcare expenditures to relieve high out-of-pocket costs, though weak intellectual property protection policies are a concern.
- Commercially relevant, freshly-updated market data and insights are the only way for businesses concerned with global market access to navigate such complexity.
- Healthcare reform in the U.S. is affecting prescribing of specific agents in therapy areas such as bipolar disorder and asthma. We observed MCOs curtailing their provider networks and formularies: specifically for bipolar disorder, psychiatrists and PCPs anticipate reducing their use of branded agents that lack a demonstrative advantage to justify their higher costs. Amid these moves, formulary placement becomes paramount for pharmaceutical firms.
- Tightening budgets and elevated cost-effectiveness expectations characterize the EU5 healthcare markets. This is well illustrated by recent Health Technology Assessments (HTA) decisions, such as rulings of "added benefit not quantifiable" for chronic myeloid leukemia drugs Bosulif and Iclusig in Germany due to their open-label pivotal trial design and the absence of head-to-head comparative data.
- HTA is rapidly becoming the most powerful driver of drug price setting and market access in LATAM. In Mexico and Argentina, submission of PE studies showing evidence of cost-effectiveness is mandatory for public coverage. Additionally, budget impact analysis is a requirement for all submissions to CONITEC in Brazil.
- Lack of reimbursement remains the greatest barrier for patients seeking access to innovative targeted treatments in China. Even if Roche's Herceptin patient assistance program (developed in collaboration with the Cancer Foundation of China) were extended to gastric cancer, surveyed oncologists believe that almost two-thirds of their eligible gastric cancer patients would not join, mostly due to hefty initial out-of-pocket expenses.
- Janie Cox, PhD, Solutions Manager and EU Market Access thought leader at Decision Resources Group, comments: "Even as the EU5 tightens its healthcare belt further, the HTA bar continues to rise steeply, P&R processes are more convoluted and cost-containment strategies are increasingly aggressive. Watertight value dossiers that pay heed to trial design and comparator preferences are now necessary-as are savvy P&R negotiations that consider easily-administrable cost-sharing schemes and the fine balance between maximum price and optimal uptake. Educating both payers and prescribers at the local level on the value of new brands is now vital to secure optimal, long-term market access."
Global Market Access Webinar Series
- Decision Resources Group is offering a new 4-part webinar series exploring essential global market access insights in high-opportunity markets across the world:
- "Shoot to Score: Market Access Levers and Barriers for High-Cost Brands in the Cost-Constrained EU5" will take place July 2 at 10 am EDT/ 3 pm CET
- "Hitting the Back of the Net: Scoring on Market Access in LatAm" will take place July 11 at 9 am PDT/ 12 pm EDT/ 5 pm CET
- "Gastric Cancer and Hepatocellular Carcinoma in China: Tackling Targeted Treatment Barriers" will take place July 16 at 10 am EDT/ 3 pm CET
- "Health Exchanges and the Pharmaceutical Industry: What This New Channel Holds for Branded Agents in Asthma and Behavioral Health" will take place August 19 at 11 am PDT/ 2 pm EDT
- For more information or to register, click here. Media passes available upon request.
About Market Access Tracker
NEW: Country-specific reports on Colombia, the Philippines, Taiwan, Thailand and Vietnam are now part of Market Access Tracker.
Market Access Tracker offers expert commercial insights and deep global coverage. An online market visualizer interface allows users to view market statistics and answer business questions on an interactive, map-based platform. In-depth, intuitive country profiles on 29 countries across four world regions, effortless access to expert country analysts, succinct Commercialization Outlooks and easily internalized Pricing and Reimbursement Flowcharts offer clarity in the face of global market access complexity. Find out more about the Market Access Tracker here.
About Decision Resources Group
Decision Resources Group offers best-in-class, high-value information and insights on critical issues within the healthcare industry. Clients rely on this analysis and data to make informed decisions. Find out more at www.DecisionResourcesGroup.com.
All company, brand or product names contained in this document may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.
For more information, contact:
Decision Resources Group
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20130103/MM36768LOGO
©2012 PR Newswire. All Rights Reserved.