Fire damages restaurant in Olde Towne Slidell

Source: St. Tammany Fire Protection, District 1
Source: St. Tammany Fire Protection, District 1

SLIDELL, LA (WVUE) - An early morning fire caused heavy damage to a popular restaurant in Olde Towne Slidell.

Firefighters say that the fire was reported around 1:30 a.m. Monday morning at Sunrise on Second, a small restaurant in the 1900 block of Second Street.

Firefighters arriving on the scene found the 2800 square foot restaurant with heavy flames and smoke coming from the roof of the building.

Crews say they were able to bring the fire under control within 31 minutes after arriving on the scene.

Officials say the fire was discovered by a newspaper delivery man, who called 911. The fire burned the roof off of the building and destroyed the entire attic area.

Firefighters say the fire is believed to have been started by an electrical short at the power disconnect for the air conditioning system.

No injuries were reported.

Copyright 2014 WVUE. All rights reserved