A grand jury on Thursday indicted 20-year-old Trung Le, the alleged Bourbon Street shooter, on one count of manslaughter and one count of attempted second-degree murder.
Le had been charged with one count of first-degree murder and nine counts of attempted first-degree murder stemming from the June 29 shooting that took the life of 21-year-old Hammond resident Brittany Thomas, but those charges were downgraded.
Orleans Parish District Attorney's Office spokesman Christopher Bowman said prosecutors did not ask for indictment on first-degree murder. The office released the following statement:
"Following the arrest of Trung Le by the New Orleans Police Department, the District Attorney's office performed a thorough review of the case with much assistance from the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Louisiana State Police. While the arrest was based upon a finding of probable cause, the DA's office must possess evidence that proves the charges beyond a reasonable doubt prior to instituting prosecution. Following our review of the evidence, the DA's office sought and obtained an indictment from the Grand Jury for one count of manslaughter and one count of attempted murder. I want to thank both the FBI and the State Police for their hard work and assistance in this ongoing investigation."
Le's attorney could not immediately be reached for comment. Attorney Martin Regan has said there is evidence that Le did not fire the fatal bullet, and that he fired in self-defense after another man aimed a handgun.
Le is the only person arrested so far in the shooting. He has been held without bond.