FOX 8 CrimeTracker: Criminal history of suspect in shootout

Darryl Johnson (Source: Gretna Police)
Darryl Johnson (Source: Gretna Police)

GRETNA, LA (WVUE) - Darryl Johnson, one of the two suspects in this week's shootout with members of the West Bank Major Crimes Task Force, has been in and out of the criminal justice system for years.

"Crimes of violence, crimes of carrying a concealed weapons, crimes of convicted felon with a firearm, distribution of drugs. In fact, at one point it appeared he was on a double probation," says Gretna Deputy Police Chief Anthony Christiana.

Christiana wonders why Johnson wasn't locked up.

Records obtained by FOX 8 show Johnson's criminal history dates back to November 3, 2009, when he was arrested for possession with intent to distribute hydrocodone.

Ten days later, Johnson was released on his own recognizance.

In June of 2010, he pleaded guilty to a lesser charge and was sentenced to a two-year suspended sentence, meaning no jail time. He was also placed on probation.

On October 27, 2011, the NOPD arrested Johnson for unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, being a felon in possession of a firearm and possession of cocaine.

His probation from the previous charge was revoked and less than a year later, and Johnson again pleaded guilty in that case.

He was given a seven-year, six-month suspended sentence, meaning no jail time and placed on probation until 2015.

His third felony arrest came on February of 2013 for drugs and guns. According to court records, a detainer was placed on Johnson for a parole violation, basically requiring he remain locked up.

Later that year, with the February 2013 charge still pending, the Department of Corrections released Johnson on the parole violation. Judge Ben Willard set his bond at $20,000 on October 17, 2013. He was released two days later.

"And here we are today with an officer that's been shot, two suspects in the hospital and again guns and heroin," says Christiana.

Tuesday evening, police say Johnson and another man, Darrin Jones were in a black Infiniti. Task force members say they were about to make an undercover heroin buy from the two men when they decided to pull them over.

It ended in a shootout when they say Johnson tried to run over officers. An officer was shot, but he was wearing a bullet-proof vest at the time.

Jones was shot multiple times and Johnson remains in critical condition with a gunshot wound to the face.

Copyright 2014 WVUE. All rights reserved.