Friday hearing for alleged Bourbon Street shooter - FOX 8 WVUE New Orleans News, Weather, Sports, Social

Friday hearing for alleged Bourbon Street shooter

Trung Le, 21 Trung Le, 21

The only Bourbon Street shooting suspect in custody could head back to court on Friday. A hearing is scheduled for 21-year-old Trung Le.

Earlier this month, Judge Dennis Waldron recused himself from the case. He states that his son is a NOPD homicide detective who has ties to the case.

Waldron stepped aside before Martin Regan, the attorney for Trung Le, could request Le's bond be lowered from $1.5 million.

Regan argues Le was acting in self defense on June 29 when 10 people were shot on Bourbon Street. Brittany Thomas, 21, was killed in the shooting.

Regan says he has compelling evidence that Le was not the aggressor in the shootout, and that he did not fire the shot that killed a college student.

Le's attorney also states that video he received from the district attorney's office clearly shows the second shooter, a man walking down Bourbon Street at 2:45 that morning slinging a gun in his left hand. Regan says the video shows the same man approaching Le and his friends, raising his gun in the air. After that, he says you can see him open fire.

"The second shooter is right here, pointing his gun down the street, shooting at everyone he can on the street, shooting wildly down the street," said Regan.

At some point, Le does shoot at the other gunman. Regan argues it was only in self defense and that he was actually near 21-year-old Brittany Thomas when she was killed.

Le is charged with manslaughter and one count of attempted murder.

Copyright 2014 WVUE. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly