Harvey residents praise neighbors who helping during fire - FOX 8, WVUE, fox8live.com, weather, app, news, saints

Harvey residents praise neighbors who helping during fire

HARVEY, LA (WVUE) - Some Harvey residents question what led to a fire that claimed the life of a four-year-old boy, Friday afternoon. It happened in a home in the 1300 block of Pailet Street.

Just beyond the yellow crime scene tape, a few stuffed animals are propped up outside the home where a fire took the life of four year old Jonathan Brackens.

Neighbor Monica Cole says, “Such a tragedy, so young.”

Cole mourns the loss of the little boy and feels the pain of his mother, Darrineka Brackens. “From what I could see, she was a good mother,” said Cole.

The family had just moved into the neighborhood. Harvey Volunteer Fire Department Assistant Chief Terry Thibodaux says, “They'd only moved in about a week ago, they'd only be there about seven days.”

Thibodaux says Darrineka was in the back room of the house and her two sons were up front at around 3:15 p.m. Friday, when the fire started. “All of a sudden, she noticed smoke and everything, went out," explained Thibodaux. "I think she went out the back door tried to come around the front door and just couldn't get in there, couldn't get into the room.”

Fire investigators say a neighbor, Desmond Bryan, was able to get into the home. Curtis Poole says he helped Bryan.

Poole explains, “We tried to kick the door down, the front door, we couldn't get it at first, so we went to the back, it was too hot, we went back to the front and we finally got in the house.”

Inside, Poole says he and Bryan found four year old Jonathan and two year old Johiah.

One witness who didn't want to be identified, describes a chaotic scene saying, “I saw a lot of people around there and one was patting the little boy, the one that's living, on the heart, and he had shallow breathing.”

Two year old Johiah was taken to Children's Hospital where he was listed in critical condition. Jonathan passed away at West Jefferson Medical Center a short time after the fire.

Curtis Poole wishes he could've done more to save Jonathan's life, saying, “It's bad, bad deal, I don't know what happened but God works in his own way.”

Fire officials still haven't said how the fire started.

Copyright 2014 WVUE. All rights reserved.
Powered by Frankly