St. John Parish officials received approval from the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals to end a chlorine burn instated after amoeba was detected in the water supply.
The burn was initially issued for Water District No. 1 when amoeba was detected in the water system on August 27. The district includes Reserve, Garyville, Mt. Airy and West 5th Street from Apricot Street to Acorn Street.
Although St. John Parish is relieved from sampling 70 sites weekly, daily chlorine samples and monitoring will continue, parish officials say.
St. John Water District No. 1 will remain on a 1.0 milligrams per liter free chlorine until DHH collects samples for amoeba on December 3. Sample results are expected to be received within 2-3 weeks following the sampling.
After the DHH confirms the amoeba is no longer present in the water system, St. John will convert the distribution system to chloramine treatment and will maintain a 1.0 milligrams per liter total chlorine residual in accordance with the emergency order.
Residents will be notified when the conversion is scheduled. In the past, a 60 day chlorine burn has been successful in alleviating amoeba and it does not live in cool weather.