MARRERO, LA (WVUE) - A body was pulled from a house fire Monday night in Marrero. Officers have identified the victim as 77-year-old Edward Wickers.
The fire broke out at about 9 p.m. at a home in the 1200 block of Lincoln Avenue. A sheriff's spokesman tells FOX 8 that Wickers lived in the home with his wife.
Crews arriving on the scene found the residence fully engulfed in flames. Firefighters say they found Wickers lying on the kitchen floor next to an expended fire extinguisher. Efforts to resuscitate him were unsuccessful and he was pronounced at the scene.
Investigators spoke with the victim's wife, who advised she was doing laundry and upon opening the dryer flames began shooting out, quickly engulfing the laundry room.
Officials say Edward Wickers told her to exit the residence as he attempted to extinguish the blaze himself with a household fire extinguisher.
Fire investigators say there are no signs of arson or foul play.