Second victim dies in parade double shooting; suspect identified

Second victim dies in parade double shooting; suspect identified

NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) - Two men are dead following a Thursday night shooting on St. Charles Avenue along a Mardi Gras parade route.

Police have arrested 19-year-old John Hicks in the shooting.

The incident happened just after 10 p.m. Thursday in the 1300 block of St. Charles Avenue. The shooting happened in front of Popeyes restaurant near the Erato Street intersection.

The shooting took place opposite of the neutral ground where floats pass by. The Krewe of Muses was parading along the traditional Uptown parade route when the shooting occurred.

Officers say they heard multiple gunshots as they were working along the parade route. The New Orleans Police Department responded to find two male victims with gunshot wounds to the body. Both were rushed to the hospital.

Police say that a 21-year-old victim died from a gunshot wound to the chest while in surgery. A second victim, 22, was pronounced dead Friday morning at the hospital.

The names of the victims have not been released.

Hicks was seen running from the scene of the shooting, police say. He was apprehended without incident and taken into police custody for questioning.

"The subject fled. The officers were right here at the intersection, gave chase to the subject who was apprehended at Martin Luther King and Baronne Street. We recovered a firearm in this incident," said New Orleans Police Superintendent Michael Harrison.

Hicks faces charges of second degree murder, attempted second degree murder and illegal carrying of a firearm on the parade route. These charges are expected to be upgraded.

Parade goers described the chaos of the scene.

"I was hanging a block down and I saw about 20 or 30 people running towards me screaming guns, guns, and screaming run," said one individual on the scene. "There was just nothing that they could do."

Thursday's shooting is not the first shooting at a Mardi Gras parade. In 2012, shots were fired during the Chaos parade along St. Charles Avenue. A 16-year-old was arrested in the case after police say he tossed a handgun into a trash can.

Copyright 2015 WVUE. All rights reserved.