Space-heater fire destroys two story home in Slidell

Space-heater fire destroys two story home in Slidell
Courtesy of the Slidell Fire Department
Courtesy of the Slidell Fire Department

SLIDELL, LA (WVUE) - A fire caused by a space heater destroyed a two story home in Slidell.

According to the Slidell Fire Department, firefighters responded to the report of a residential fire at 37438 Brownsvillage Road just before 5 a.m. this morning.

According to the Chad Duffaut, public information officer for the Slidell Fire Department, one of the house's occupants woke up to the smell of smoke and noticed his bed was on fire. He escaped unharmed and alerted the other occupants. All of them were able to escape the home and called 911 from a cell phone. Only one of them sustained minor injuries and was transported to the hospital.

Duffaut said the fire was caused by a space heater that was too close to combustible items.

The house suffered heavy fire damage and everything inside was destroyed.

Firefighters were notified at 4:42 a.m. and were on scene by 4:47 a.m. The fire was under control by 5:24 a.m. according to Duffaut. Twelves units totaling 22 firefighters responded to the fire.

St. Tammany Fire District #1 said that "when using a space heater it is important to maintain a safe distance of at least three feet and follow all of the manufacturer's recommendations. Be sure to regularly inspect and test your smoke detectors."

Copyright 2015 WVUE. All rights reserved.