NOFD: Downtown hotel evacuated due to electrical fire - FOX 8, WVUE,, weather, app, news, saints

NOFD: Downtown hotel evacuated due to electrical fire


A downtown New Orleans hotel had to be evacuated Saturday night due to an electrical fire. The incident occurred at 7:52 p.m. at La Belle Maison Hotel, located in the 200 block of Magazine Street. 

A spokesperson with the New Orleans Fire Department said that a call came in that smoke was visible on the first floor of the hotel. Responding firefighters arrived on scene and found the fire in a room where the hotel's main electrical panel was located. Crews were able to keep the fire from spreading to any additional rooms and had the fire under control at 9:26 p.m.

In the process of fighting the fire, the NOFD contacted Entergy and had the electricity to the building shut down immediately. Fire crews also worked with hotel security in evacuating all of the guests out of the building. A total of 124 of the 134 rooms of the hotel were occupied at the time of the fire. 

Entergy crews also responded to the scene and told fire officials and hotel management that the guests would have to find alternative lodging for at least one night. Hotel managers and The American Red Cross helped the displaced guests find rooms for the night.

There were no injuries reported and fire officials determines that the fire started in the main electrical panel of the building. 

Copyright 2015 WVUE. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly