NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) - Louisiana has been named among the least safe states in America.
A new study has identified which of the 50 states and the District of Columbia offer the safest environments. The study was conducted by WalletHub, a personal finance social network.
The Pelican State found itself near the bottom of the list. Louisiana ranks 45 on the list of 51. The study found Massachusetts to be the safest state in the U.S., while Mississippi was found to be the least safe.
To identify the safest states, key dimensions were analyzed including home and community safety; natural disasters; road safety; workplace safety; and financial safety.
Out of 51, Louisiana ranked:
- 50: Number of murders and non-negligent manslaughters per 100,000 residents
- 45: Number of assaults per 100,000 residents
- 27: Estimated property losses from climate disasters per 100,000 residents
- 44: Number of fatal occupational injuries per 100,000 employees
- 45: Number of fatalities per 100 million vehicle miles of travel
- 40: Number of law enforcement employees per 100,000 residents
- 32: Unemployment rate
- 31: Bullying incidents rate
- 28: Share of the population with no health insurance