Man robs store in busy Riverbend strip mall - FOX 8 WVUE New Orleans News, Weather, Sports, Social

Man robs store in busy Riverbend strip mall

"I had been warned about him,” one victim said. (FOX 8 Photo) "I had been warned about him,” one victim said. (FOX 8 Photo)
NEW ORLEANS, LA (WVUE) -

New Orleans police are looking for a man who robbed a beauty supply shop Saturday in the Riverbend area.

The robbery happened just before 6:30 p.m. in strip mall in the 700 block of S. Carrollton Avenue. According to managers of at least two stores, the man seen walking into Sally Beauty Supply is known in the neighborhood.

"I had been warned about him,” one victim said. “So when I saw him come in with a duffel bag, I thought he was just coming in to steal some stuff."

The victim said when she confronted the man, he produced a gun.

"Right whenever I did that, he turned around with a big shotgun," she said. "Basically just told me he was gonna kill me if I didn't cooperate, do what he told me to do."

After the cashier opened the register and the safe, the gunman asked her to take him in the back, where another employee was unaware of what was happening.

"We walked back there, she was on the phone, she hadn't heard anything,” the victim said. “She was on the phone with her friend, and she hung up real fast and he told her, ‘if you don't hang up that phone right now, I'm gonna blow her f'in' head off.'"

The two employees complied, handing over cash and then ultimately hair clippers.

"And then he started asking for the hair,” the victim said. “I was trying to get the hair off the pegs, but it had locks on it. My hands were shaking and I couldn't get the hair off, and he was like ‘what's taking so long?' [He] got frustrated and left."

The victim said she no longer feels safe at work.

"I thought this was a safe place to work in, but this shows that it can happen anywhere," she said.

Police are asking anyone with information to call Crimestoppers at (504) 822-1111.

• Man robs store in busy Riverbend strip mallMore>>

2 sought in Uptown business robberies

Monday, June 1 2015 8:12 PM EDT2015-06-02 00:12:27 GMT
    The NOPD is asking for the public's help in finding and identifying two men wanted in connection with two armed robberies of businesses in the Uptown area.more>>
  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

Police: 8 dead in truck, 20 dire in immigrant smuggling case

Sunday, July 23 2017 5:50 AM EDT2017-07-23 09:50:46 GMT
    Sunday, July 23 2017 10:52 AM EDT2017-07-23 14:52:34 GMT

Eight people have been found dead in a tractor-trailer outside a Walmart in Texas in what police are calling a tragic human trafficking case.

more>>

more>>

After Craigslist scam, man can't enter his own home

Saturday, July 22 2017 8:29 PM EDT2017-07-23 00:29:14 GMT
    Saturday, July 22 2017 8:29 PM EDT2017-07-23 00:29:14 GMT

The people inside rented the home from a mystery person on Craiglist. As the law stands, because they refuse to leave, Keith Mills now has to go to court to prove he’s the rightful owner.

more>>

The people inside rented the home from a mystery person on Craiglist while owner Keith Mills was on vacation.. As the law stands, because the renters refuse to leave, Mills now has to go to court to prove he’s the rightful owner.

more>>

NASA issues warning: You may have a bad pair of eclipse glasses

Friday, July 21 2017 11:22 AM EDT2017-07-21 15:22:03 GMT
    The path of the total solar eciipse on August 21, 2017 crosses directly over Columbia and the Midlands. (Source: NASA)The path of the total solar eciipse on August 21, 2017 crosses directly over Columbia and the Midlands. (Source: NASA)

As the world, the United States, and South Carolina prepared for arguably the coolest celestial event in decades, our old friends at NASA want you to know that pairs of unsafe solar eclipse glasses are being distributed.

more>>