NEW ORLEANS, LA (WVUE) - New Orleans Police Superintendent Michael Harrison says they're doing everything they can to make sure officers are safe after a suspect shot and killed one of their own over the weekend. The chief welcomed 33 new recruits Tuesday and says he'll make sure those recruits get the training they need so what happened to Officer Daryle Holloway never happens again.
At a ceremony Tuesday afternoon for new police recruits, New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu remembered Officer Daryle Holloway, a 22 year veteran, murdered in the line of duty, "as we pay homage to Daryle Holloway we remember today the incredible sacrifice that you are being called upon to make," said Landrieu.
Police say Travis Boys shot Holloway while in custody. Now, NOPD Chief Michael Harrison says they'll revisit proper police procedures with all their recruits and officers,"we are making sure our officers are safe and that they are abiding by our policies and that we are training and constantly re-training to make sure we are all abreast of all of our safety and procedure issues," said Harrison.
Chief Harrison says he doesn't believe what happened to Holloway will affect recruiting new officers or keeping the ones they have, but LSU health criminologist Dr. Peter Scharf says he's already received calls from officer's families who worry if their loved ones are safe while on their patrols, "wives are telling their husbands is it worth doing this job and really you have an attrition problem already if the police officers think that they are not safe then you have a real attrition problem," said Scharf.
NOPD tells Fox 8 recruitment remains a top priority and they will continue aggressive efforts to hire and train new officers. And, just Tuesday the department unveiled a new training facility for new recruits. Scharf says now is the time to closely examine what went wrong in Holloway's case to make sure it never happens to another officer, "this kind of horrendous incident is the result of multiple system failures and i pray going forward that the police department and the city go through check lists of everything needed to keep our princes of the city safe," said Scharf.
NOPD says they're looking into exactly what happened, how it happened and what additional steps they need to take to make sure to it doesn't happen again.We're told NOPD received nearly 3,000 applications for new police recruits last year and more than 2,500 so far this year.