TERREBONNE PARISH, LA (WVUE) - First it was St. Bernard, now it's Terrebonne Parish.
Terrebonne Parish residents are taking full precautions after the discovery of the brain eating amoeba in the water system. The amoeba was found in Montegut during a test run on August 5.
The Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals first sent out word Monday afternoon of the brain eating amoeba showing up in Montegut in the lower end of Terrebonne Parish. It prompted a 60-day chlorine burn and a number of other precautions in schools and government buildings.
Mike Sobert, the head of the Terrebonne Parish Consolidated Waterworks District, says residents may or may not smell more chlorine in the water.
"We are prescribed by law to keep chlorine at 4.0 in a chloramine situation. You don't smell it quite as much," he said.
Parents are being advised not to allow children to play unsupervised in tubs or pools. The Terrebonne Parish government has also shut down water fountains, even though water officials insist it's safe to drink. They advise to just avoid getting water up your nose. Some 97,000 customers are served by this water district.
Terrebonne Parish is not the first parish in our area to have amoeba concerns.
Council members in St. Bernard will discuss giving a credit to water and sewer customers for the inconvenience of their chlorine burn which began last month.
They'll vote on whether to give a $10 water rate credit. The meeting starts at 7 p.m. in council chambers.