COVINGTON, LA (WVUE) - Three Covington High School students are expected to make a full recovery after they were hospitalized Thursday for a possible drug overdose.
Covington police say the male students are two 15-year-olds and one 16-year-old.
Just before 1 p.m., a school resource officer was notified of an unresponsive student and EMS was called to the scene. Before they arrived, the school resource officer was notified of a second unresponsive student and additional medical personnel were called.
At about 2 p.m., the school resource officer was notified of a third student with a medical emergency and medical personnel were again called to the school.
All three students had complained of difficulty breathing before they passed out, police said. Covington Police Chief Tim Lentz said a firefighter on the scene said one of the students had mentioned the drug Mojo. None of the teens was found to be in possession of drugs.
The investigation into this incident is still ongoing, but Lentz said early information suggests a possible drug overdose. Lentz also said no further medical information would be released due to patient confidentiality and the ages of the victims.
St. Tammany Parish Schools Superintendent W. L. "Trey" Folse sent the following statement:
"Our School System works side-by-side on a continuous basis with local law enforcement agents and school resource officers to maintain safe, secure and drug-free learning environments. Unfortunately, illegal drug use is a problem that persists in our society. While we are committed to educating students about making good choices, we encourage parents of students of all ages to talk with their children about the dangers and harmful consequences of illegal drug use."