Robber uses a shotgun to hold three men - FOX 8 WVUE New Orleans News, Weather, Sports, Social

Robber uses a shotgun to hold three men

FOX 8 Photo FOX 8 Photo
NEW ORLEANS, LA (WVUE) -

Just before 9:30 p.m. Tuesday, three 18-year-olds were sitting on a bench in Laurence Square Park at Camp and Napoleon.

“An individual approached them with a shotgun from behind. He took their money and he took their cell phones,” says NOPD Commander Paul Noel.

Commander Noel says the gunman took off and the victims called police.

He says his detectives worked through the night to crack the case and eventually developed a suspect.

Commander Noel isn’t ready to release the suspect’s name, but says his investigators did serve a search warrant at the suspect’s New Orleans home this morning.

“We recovered a 40 caliber handgun. We did not recover the shotgun that we were looking for, and the investigation is still on-going at this time,” says Commander Noel.

The shotgun-wielding robber struck in the park that’s less than a half block away from the NOPD's 2nd District Police Station.

“Maybe he didn’t now the police station was here. Maybe he just didn’t care, but we are going to hunt him down and we are going to catch him,” says Commander Noel.

Police do not believe the suspect is responsible for any other crimes in the Uptown area, where there has been an uptick of armed robberies in the last few months.

“Many of the cases that we’ve solved have not been the next day. They’ve been two or three weeks later,” says Commander Noel.

With 19 armed robberies in the Uptown area in the month of August, Commander Noel says 11 of them are now solved. He says two additional armed robberies will soon be closed as well.

So far this month, there were three armed robberies, including the park robbery Tuesday night.

Copyright 2015 WVUE. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly