MANDEVILLE, LA (WVUE) - Mandeville police arrested 10 people accused of stealing $6,500 in a counterfeit check scheme.
Officers started an investigation in August after receiving complaints from Minnie's Quickstop in Mandeville.
Different customers would cash the counterfeit checks in exchange for a percentage of the money.
Police believe Kevin Pierce, 42, of Slidell, was running the operation. He was arrested on Oct. 19.
Pierce's sister, Escrelita Javery, 48, of Slidell, and Tammy Jones, 47, of Hammond, also helped, cashing counterfeit checks and driving other recruits to Minnie's in return for a portion of the proceeds, investigators said.
Mandeville police were able to identify seven other people involved in the counterfeit ring.
Pierce is charged with racketeering, 11 counts of money laundering, 29 counts of Forgery, 13 counts of bank fraud, seven counts of theft, and two counts of attempted theft.
The following subjects were also arrested for their involvement:
- Roneisia Martin (18 of 8417 Apple St. New Orleans)
- Denise Martin (48 of 4730 Shalimar Dr. New Orleans)
- Derrik Thomas Jr. (25 of 60435 Palm Dr. Slidell)
- Lauren Hopkins (26 of 656 Gause Blvd. Slidell)
- Lakeisha Breland (38 of 255 Satellite Rd. Slidell)
- Jon Warren (24 of 1009 Andrew Ct. Slidell)
- Latiqua Rhodes (32 of 148 Neptune Rd. Slidell).
Jones and Rhodes have not yet been located. Warrants have been issued for their arrest. If you see them, call Crimestoppers at 504-822-1111.