NEW ORLEANS, LA (WVUE) - The NOPD said Monday that the arrest of one man has cleared six armed robberies since Nov. 11, according to a news release.
Police said Kenneth Rodgers, 47, may be responsible other similar crimes.
On Nov.27, Fifth District officers responded to a call of a suspicious person in the 2500 block of North Roman Street. Officers found Rodgers in the area and learned he was wanted for several armed robberies. Police also recovered drug paraphernalia from Rodgers and a handgun in a milk crate Rodgers was seen moving.
Based on evidence gathered at various scenes and through witness participation, detectives believe Rodgers is responsible for the following incidents:
- On November 11, 2015, an unknown black male produced a handgun and stole a vehicle in the 6700 block of Chef Menteur Highway.
- On November 24, 2015, an unknown black male and 23-year-old Jessica Dickinson entered the Boost Mobile Store located at 2108 St. Bernard Avenue. The victim said Dickinson asked her about a phone when the male suspect produced a handgun and demanded money. The male suspect fled the store on foot. Dickinson attempted to flee but was arrested by responding officers.
- On November 24, 2015, an unknown black male entered the Krystal Burger located at 2713 South Claiborne Avenue around 9:05 p.m. The suspect placed an order and then produced a handgun and demanded money. Once the clerk complied, the suspect fled the scene on foot.
- On November 25, 2015, the victim told police that an unknown older black male entered the Discount Zone at 1533 Esplanade Avenue around 5:00 a.m. wearing a black knit cap and a purple jacket. According to the victim, the suspect asked to purchase a cigar and then pointed a gun at him and demanded money. The victim complied and the suspect fled the store on foot.
Following Rodgers' arrest on Friday, Seventh District detectives identified him as the suspect in two attempted armed robberies in New Orleans East.
- On November 23, 2015, an unknown black male entered the Chevron located at 10422 Chef Menteur Highway around 9:00 p.m. According to the cashier, the suspect asked for a pack of cigarettes and then produced a gun and demanded money. The cashier immediately ran into the office and locked the door. The suspect then fled the store on foot without taking any money or merchandise.
- On November 25, 2015, an unknown black male attempted to purchase paper towels inside the Family Dollar located at 9711 Chef Menteur Highway. Once at the register, the suspect produced a gun and demanded money. The cashier ran into an office and locked the door. The suspect then fled the store on foot without taking any money or merchandise.
Witnesses in both incidents identified Rodgers as the suspect. Police intend to book Rodgers on the additional charges.
Detectives are investigating whether Rodgers may be responsible for other similar crimes in the city. First District, Fifth District, Sixth District and Seventh District detectives are working together on the investigation.