Popular balance-board toy blamed for Lafitte home fire

Popular toy causes fire that destroys Lafitte home

LAFITTE, LA (WVUE) - A mother in Lafitte blames a popular toy for the fire that destroyed her home on Nov. 21.

The charred remains of a smart balance board her son received for his 12th birthday are on the floor of her scorched house. It was on his bed when he tried to charge it.

"He had just plugged it in and I could hear it," Jessica Horn said. "It sounded like fireworks and it sent sparks. Within minutes the entire room was in flames."

Her son, Hayden, loved his present, but the Fit Turbo F1 Two Wheels Smart was only his for a couple of days.

Jessica's son, stepson and fiance were in the house with their dog, Buttons. Her fiance threw the burning mattress over a balcony and they all escaped.

"Within one minute, the first unit arrived on the scene," said Lafitte Fire Chief Linton Duet. "We had fire coming out of one room on the residence. The fire was coming out."

The State Fire Marshal is calling this toy "suspect." Deputy Chief Brant Thompson said the investigation is ongoing but cautions the public about buying this brand.

Copyright 2015 WVUE. All rights reserved.