Six arrested, one sought in Chalmette carjackings - FOX 8 WVUE New Orleans News, Weather, Sports, Social

Six arrested, one sought in Chalmette carjackings

ST. BERNARD PARISH, LA (WVUE) -

Six suspects involved in two carjackings in Chalmette have been caught, and an arrest warrant has been issued for a seventh, according to St. Bernard Parish Sheriff James Pohlmann. The oldest suspect is 17.

A 15-year-old, a 16-year-old and another juvenile, all from New Orleans East, were arrested Wednesday in a Nov. 24 carjacking where a gun was pulled on a woman as she sat in a Cadillac Escalade. Sheriff’s deputies spotted the vehicle minutes after the incident and chased it into New Orleans. The juveniles crashed at Claiborne and Franklin avenues and managed to escape.

The 15- and 16-year-old were booked with armed robbery - a more serious charge than carjacking - because they used a gun to take the vehicle, Pohlmann said. No bond was set. An arrest warrant has been issued for the third juvenile.

The arrests came after NOPD linked the suspects to property taken from vehicles carjacked in New Orleans and St. Tammany.

In the Nov. 23 carjacking, a man was carjacked by four subjects, all from Violet, as he pulled up to a home in an Infinity. Two juveniles were caught immediately. A third, age 16, surrendered Tuesday and was jailed in the parish juvenile detention center. The fourth suspect, Melvin Pernell, 17, surrendered last week and is being held as an adult in St. Bernard Parish Prison in lieu of a $50,000 bond, Sheriff Pohlmann said.

No one was injured in either carjacking.

Copyright 2015 WVUE. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly