NEW ORLEANS (WVUE) - In 1850, architect James Gallier designed the Greek Revival masterpiece, which bears his name—Gallier Hall. Three years later it became City Hall.
Every New Orleans Mardi Gras parade, starting with the first one in 1857, has been greeted by the city's dignitaries at this spot. Rex in 1872 saluted not only the Mayor, but also the visiting Russian Grand Duke Alexis Romanoff.
In 1958 when the new City Hall opened in Duncan Plaza, the reviewing stand also moved, but not for long. Gallier Hall returned in 1962 as the official toasting destination and remains so today.